Wednesday, October 3, 2012

mobbed out

Man, oh man! For the past.. I don't even know how many hours.. I've been watching documentary after documentary on the mafia. This evening was supposed to be spent doing school work, but the mob won me over. Isn't that what they always do? Sure, it's usually with cops, politicians and broke drug dealers -- but today, a random, procrastinating student can be counted among them as well.

It's actually not all that random.. and it's not that procrastinate-y either. In fact, I'd been procrastinating the watching of the documentaries for some time now. So I'm glad I finally 'buckled down' and bit the bullet. 

Speaking of bullets -- hot dang! the mob is full of some violent crazies! And someone like me, with a queasy stomach and over-active imagination... well, the last thing I should be doing is hearing some wise guys give first hand accounts of ridiculously scary, real beat downs that have occurred over the years. 

So why am I going through with it, you ask? Well, because I'm writing a book all about it. A fictional book, told from the point of view of a sixteen year old girl who has nothing to do with the mob.. or so she thinks. Therefore, I'm being a good little writer and doing my research. Granted, most of it will never make it into my fictional tale, but even if it manages to spark an idea or add a more realistic undertone, then it's done its job.

Most of the information I've learned so far isn't exactly knowledge I'd like to repeat. Torturous acts, infidelity, and unhappy demises have been the predominant material of the documentaries. I'm paying particular attention to the Irish mob, not the Italian one. Because my story takes place in Boston and (spoiler alert) involves the Irish fighting sort of mobsters. Something I can share with you is the general code held by those sorts (at least, according to the documentaries):

"Look after your own. Stand up for yourself. Disputes are settled by the fist. And men are expected to fight."

Interesting perspective on life, that is! Sorry, even though the people in the docs have strong Boston accents, I can't help thinking with an OI-rish one now.

Suddenly craving Lucky Charms too...

and Colin Farrell... 

Wait, what? Get back on track, Lars!

Seeing as I've been working on this book of mine for I think about four years now, I've learned a good deal about all things mafia. But I still managed to learn a whole bunch more today. The most important thing I learned, which is something I'm surprised I didn't learn earlier, is that when it comes to the mob, the Irish may have a good thing going for them (and I use the term, 'good' very loosely), but the big guys have always been the Italian mafia. I mean, in the end, even the Irish mobsters answer to them. 

Interesting, though ultimately useless information, I'm sure. ;) Well, unless you're an aspiring novelist or someone who's gotten mixed up in the wrong crowd. Now I know who to look out for when I'm glancing over my shoulder after I've published my book...

if I ever publish my book...

But today was a step in the right direction. My family is probably thinking I've got a few more loose screws than they originally suspected, but all of today's research has definitely inspired some new twists for my story. I may have to watch about a dozen Disney movies before I can even think about falling asleep though...

No comments:

Post a Comment